The Club

A fondness for golf shared by a number of local citizens has been credited as the probable impetus for the origination of the Country Club of Columbus.

Donald Ross, the famous golf architect from Scotland, designed the golf course. Small elevated greens and bunkers with rollover edges are some of the characteristics of the course. From a small group of Columbus citizens who wanted a place to play golf to the center of social and sports activities, for its 750+ members, the Country Club of Columbus remains a viable link to the past and serves as a nucleus for growth in the future.

Our History

Early on the morning of July 18, 1919, the original clubhouse was destroyed by a fire of undetermined nature. Under the leadership of Club President Charles Woolfolk, immediate plans were made to rebuild. Less than a year later, on June 17, 1920, the new Mediterranean-styled, two story clubhouse hosted a dinner dance for 200 members and guests.


By 1940 the Club's property grew to 116.45 acres and its members enjoyed golf, swimming and tennis. As membership grew, non-golfing members' needs were recognized and met. A larger clubhouse, including a new swimming pool, was constructed. The tennis courts made many moves until finding a home at the present site adjacent to Cherokee Avenue. Eleven courts, ten clay and one hard, with seven lighted for night play offer hours of casual competitive recreation. Among the more celebrated tennis players, Chris Evert remains a favorite of local tennis buffs. It was at the 1968 Southeastern Tennis Tournament held here that she won her first women's tennis title at the age of 14.